History of the Congregation at Capshaw
In the mid 1930's, Brother Granville Tyler came to the Capshaw community and held a gospel meeting under a "Brush Arbor Tent". Soon after that gospel meeting, Brother Carl Richter, with fourteen women began meeting at the Capshaw Club House. A few weeks later, Brother Jack Lindsey and three more women attended. Those two men and the seventeen women were the beginning of the congregation at Capshaw.
The church continued to meet at the Capshaw Club House until they moved to the building on Smith Drive. The deed to the Smith Drive property was dated 1937 and the building was probably built the same year.
The first regular preacher to work with the congregation was Brother Reynolds; he preached the first Sunday of each month.
A faithful group of Christians worshiped at the building on Smith Drive from 1937 until 1996. The building underwent several renovations over the years (1937-1996) to accommodate growth.
The congreagtion moved to the current location at 29755 Capshaw Road on Sunday, July 14, 1996. Brother Everett Conn preached the first sermon at this location and the subject of his lesson was "Unity". There were approximately about 85 members in attendance that Sunday morning.
The pulpit, communion table and two chairs were among the few contents of the Smith Drive building and were moved to the new building when it was constructed. These items date back to the early 1930's and were donated by Sister Martina Ackerman in 1950. The furniture was previously used in the Central church of Christ building on Clinton Avenue in Huntsville, Alabama.
In 2004, Brother Norm Webb, Sr. began preaching at Capshaw and worked with the congregation at Capshaw until he retired from preaching at the end of 2018. Brother Norm Webb, Sr. also served as an elder along with Brother Steve Cook from late 2015 to mid-2018.
In 2019, the congregation hired Brother Berlin (Buc) Chumbley to work with the group at Capshaw.
Today, there are approximately 110 members of the congregation with a great mixture of Christian families of all ages.